Create a .bat file for starting the Network Inventory Client program and specify the network path to the client files:
start /B \\Your_Server_Address\Path_to_the_client_files\nieclient.exe
Save this batch file as client.bat, for example, and place it to the same shared folder where other client files (data.cfg, licenses.cfg, NIEClient.exe, script.cfg) are located (read more about the client files and the shared folder...).
Creating a Logon Script for Running the Inventory Clients on AD Computers
For Windows Server 2003 (see Windows Server 2008 instructions below)
1) Click Start and then Run... (or press Win+R). Type gpedit.msc and click OK.
2) Locate User Configurations -> Windows Settings -> Scripts (Logon/Logoff).
3) Double click Logon, click Add to add the client.bat file we created before.
For Windows Server 2008
1) Open the Group Policy Management Console
"Start" - Administrative Tools - Group Policy Management (or click "Start" – "Run..." (press Win+R) – type "gpmc.msc". Click "OK").
2) Select "Default Domain Policy" and click Edit in the context menu.
3) Open Computer Configuration - Policies - Windows Settings, double-click Scripts, click Add to add the client.bat file we created before.