If for whatsoever reason using WMI over network is impossible (different domains, restricted access to the administrative functions over the network, disallowed operation of RPC/DCOM), you can use the 10-Strike Network Inventory Agent component for gathering the data.
The agent includes the data gathering service and an application for changing the settings. The component is to be installed on a remote computer and would pass the required data to the main program on demand using the client-server technology.
The installation packages of 10-Strike Network Inventory Agent are located inside the "\Program Files\10-Strike Network Inventory Explorer\Agent\" folder:
Follow these tips to ensure the safety of data when working with agents:
- Use password protection.
- Filter IP addresses.
- Change agent's TCP port.
Password, port, and IP address are set in the program settings.
These points are to be observed when getting started with agents:
- Configure the security settings in 10-Strike Network Inventory Explorer in the Settings window on the "Remote agents" tab.
- Save the configuration file (the "Save to File..." button). Copy it to the folder with the agent setup file and make sure the file name is "nie_settings.cfg".
After agents have been installed on networked computers, select the computers where the information will be gathered by the agents. Click on the "Computers..." button. In the window that appears, tick-off computers to be selected.
The polling method can also be changed in the "Computer Card" window by ticking off the "Connect Using Remote Agent" checkbox.
Pros of working with the agent service:
- Does not require the administrative rights on remote computers.
- Does not require WMI .
- Computers are polled only on administrator's demand; the same way as if you had chosen to use WMI.
- Fresh information can be obtained at any moment on demand.
- Requires time for installing and configuring agents on networked computers. Agents are to be allowed in firewalls.
- It is hard to poll computers that run rarely.
When the access through WMI is not available, besides the agent service you can also launch the polling through a client application (even from computers that are currently disconnected).